Lu Kam, or Mandarin Oranges are one of those other 'must haves' during Chinese New Year.
So, heres another innovation of mine... the Chinese New Year Orange Cookie :D
It tastes like oranges too - I added in some orange juice, and plenty of orange rind.
|Does it look anything like Lu Kams?|
It isn't too difficult to make, and the ingredients are rather simple. The dough is also easy to work with.
What you need is:
2 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour
Zest of 2 oranges
3/4 cups of sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of butter
2 tsp orange juice
2 Tbs cream cheese
- Mix the flour, orange zest salt and sugar together.
- Slowly rub in the butter till well blended
- Drop in cream cheese and orange coloring and juice. Mix slowly. After dough looks wet enough, take it out of the mixer and knead.
- Roll little balls about the size of one teaspoon. I use a melon baller to get roughly the same size. Finally, use a stick and poke a shallow green dot on the top of the orange ball.
- Bake at 190 degrees, for about 12 mins.
Enjoy your new year cookies!