Sunday, March 20, 2011

Home Made Ice Cream

Strawberry and Mango Ice Cream! Can you say YUM? XD

I love making my own ice cream - partly because I can put in whatever I like in 'em, partly because I know it's not laden with sugar :D

Its much easier than you think. I know you might be familiar with recipes that requires egg yolks and ice cream making machines....(ice cream makers??) but my recipe needs none of those! I'm not too keen on the idea of having raw egg yolk in my ice cream myself... However, this recipe is reaaaallly easy and needs only 2 main ingredients:

Milk & Powdered Creamer (coffeemate?)

How to:
Just beat milk and creamer together - adjust the proportions by slowly adding in the creamer till the mixture is thick and creamy in consistency (like melted ice cream). Add in your flavorings - depending on what you feel like. Freeze for about an hour (or till the cream touching the sides of the container has frozen) then take it out and beat the mixture again. Repeat the freezing and beating step several times (I usually do it about 3 times) till you find that ice crystals don't form in your cream anymore, and you get more of an ice cream texture.

Poke it a couple of times in the freezer, if it feels like ice cream, you can stop beating it.

These are some of my favorite ice cream combinations:

Rum, Raisin and Coffee
- no doubt, gets the highest requests from my family members. Just add in rum, raisins and some coffee powder in your milky mixture.

Fruits (anything with less fiber - mangoes, berries...)
- use a blender instead of a beater to make your ice cream mixture, and add in your fruits. It blends in your fruits well with your cream.

Good ol' chocolate
- add in a couple of tablespoons of cocoa, and some chocolate chips if you desire. Some nuts would go great too!

Oreos
- Don't add in your oreo bits till the last ice cream beating, or everything will end up soggy and you'll get gross grey ice cream. Stir in oreo bits to create nice oreo swirls.


Easy and Healthy....err.. healthierrr.. ;D

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm intruiged...I will let you know my results for sure! ♥- Katrina

Elyse @The Cultural Dish said...

I really need to start making my own ice cream... this looks awesome!

Sweetened by Kagi said...

Hey there,
I'm tagging you to participate in the ask me anything game :) I hope you will "play along" :)
http://sweetenedbykagi.blogspot.com/2011/03/ask-me-anything.html

Vivien Lim said...

did hear ice cream? ice cream????????

Tracie said...

Thanks ladies... hope you like your home made ice cream! :D And yeah Vivien.. you heard right... ICE CREAM! :D :D :D